There is just something so refreshing to the world when it has a nice blanket of white covering it. All of the foul colors of late fall are suddenly wiped away into this beautiful, clean template. Even the rotting haunted houses take on a cheerful look when their dark terraces and molding roofs are transformed with sparkling white. The harsh noises of humanity which tear through tranquility are dampened under winters mighty hand.
It makes living in this town bearable for just a little longer.
When I first came here, I thought for certain I had been taken to a place mother nature had forsaken. The land withers under a dusty sky, and the earth is hardly serviceable for plants to take root. The crop cannot stand up against the winds which rip through unmercifully, turning up the soil and spitting sand. Even the winter had been banished, leaving only cold and muddy slush, hardly quenching the thirst which plagues this place. Cracking under the coming summers heat it seemed like the beauty of creation had been completely sucked out by the leeching drought. There was hardly room for hope of restoration. Just as despair began to settle in, just when it seemed winter might yet again pass us by, it came.
Gorgeous powdery flakes of hope, big and moist. A paling sky turned white as cotton floated down, prevailing over the battling wind to settle and clothe the naked and dying earth.
"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." Ps 42:11
Beautiful writing. As much as I really don't care much for winter, I do love how the snow blankets the "blah" and gives it a clean white renewed look.
ReplyDeleteI also really do have every sympathy for you moving away from where you grew up, coming to a totally different landscape at is about as different as you can get--I well remember how I felt about WY. when I had to move there when we got married!!